Skiing & Outdoor Recreation
Canterbury Farm Ski Touring Center
- 35 years in business and opening for this season 2020-2021. We are excited about getting people outdoors exercising in this beautiful and historic place. Our lodging is closed until summer 2021.
- As we plan our ski season with Covid, we will follow State mandates. If the situation changes, we will be flexible and keep our customers and staff safe by following the protocols. We will 100 % open as soon as Mother Nature allows. All we need is cold weather and a little snow!
- Some changes you will notice. First we follow all requirements for outdoor recreation facilities. This includes all customers will arrive and depart wearing a face covering, masks are required when not able to keep distance of 6 feet, sanitizing frequently touched areas and rental equipment, directing a new flow both in the rental shop and bathroom facilities to avoid close contact.
Canterbury Farm will still sell season passes and gift certificates by phone anytime. We are working on a pay online ticket system and hope to have it in place by November. Some restrictions and changes this year are limiting the use of warming areas, food service, and storage of personal belongings. We will have outdoor spaces with added heaters and fire pits to keep those customers warm.
- Yes we do expect an increase in skiers. This is a safe sport during a pandemic. We have 200 acres of private land that we own where skiers, snow shoers, and ice skaters can enjoy while socially distancing.
- Nordic skiing and snowshoeing are very easy sports to learn even without lessons. Group lessons with only family members will be accepted. Our equipment is simple to put on and off and comfortable. Our knowledgeable staff is always happy to give tips and short instructions before you go out. All our trails are marked with trail maps on each intersection.
- We have enclosed and heated our Ski Chalet. This also is used for the ski rental shop. We have made improvements to our grooming capabilities. The existing trail system has been enhanced with more drainage, bridges and signage. New rental equipment will be purchased.
- With our extensive and varied terrain, one can ski without feeling like they are in a crowd. Our patrons have said that Canterbury Farm is a “gem”. This private wooded land has been forest managed for 80 years, and it shows. Customers can experience three different winter sports. One pass can be interchanged between skiing, snowshoeing and ice skating with onsite rental equipment. As in the past we provide a friendly and healthy environment for all.
With 22 kilometers of groomed and tracked ski trails, you will ski alongside beautiful brooks, beaver ponds, stone walls, lakes, fields and mountains where nature abounds. Our trails meander through old wood stands, which gives you the feel of being in the wilderness. Other trails are wider for excellent ski skating. Snowshoe trails are maintained just for snow shoeing for those who want that experience.
Our ski instructors will teach you the best techniques and skills so you can be off enjoying the woods. Linda is a professional ice skating coach who gives private lessons. Our rental equipment is well maintained with the helpful ski shop staff ready to fit and fix your ski equipment.
Season Pass Memberships on Sale
Members enjoy skiing, snowshoeing, ice-skating whenever facilities are open to the general public. Free hiking year round. No black-out dates!
With a northern exposure at an elevation of 1700 feet, we have snow when the valley area doesn't. Check our ski conditions page for honest and daily updates.
Our 22 kilometers of beginner, intermediate, and advanced trails are machine groomed every day. We use specific grooming equipment for every type of snow condition. Tracks are set for diagonal skiing and there are skating lanes on some trails. One trail is kept natural for that back woods experience. The snow shoe trails are packed and marked as they meander through the dense forest. At the summit of the hill you can see Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts.
The Ski Chalet
Come into the ski shop where the ease of purchasing a ticket on line and reserving renting equipment comes with a smile. Our staff is there to give you help and tips to make your experience great.
Our ski trails are groomed daily. Our ski team is out combing out, packing, and tracking those trails with numerous types of equipment. Dave is a landscaper in the summer so you can bet he is making those trails as beautiful as they can be.
Due to Covid, lessons may not be available. Our knowledgeable and caring professional staff will make your ski experience better because you learn the easy way by practicing technique before you try by trial and error. Lessons usually last about an hour. Please call to make a reservation.
Looking down the bank of a babbling brook, crossing a beaver swamp, viewing Mt Greylock in the distance: these are just a few sights you will see as you shoe along our special snow shoe trails. Marked and packed for your pleasure.
Tubbs quality for ease off and on.
The Farm Pond
Did you learn to skate outdoors? If you did, then you know what an exhilarating feeling it is. The crisp sounds, the sun or wind hitting your face, the total freedom of movement! The pond is much smaller than an indoor rink, yet big enough to glide and spin like a pro. Speaking of pros...
Riedell rental skates with Thinsulate and soft tech lining. So comfortable, you will forget you have on skates. That is, except for the skinny blade on the bottom! We keep them sharp for your pleasure.